Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Life in Two Bags

Well that settles it... 5 hours before I am scheduled to leave to enter the Peace Corps, I have finally finished packing. I have two bags, both packed to the gills with anything I thought I might need and might find difficult to buy in Bulgaria. I still feel that I can get rid of a few extra things, but the less money I can spend over there the better (I'm probably not going to have that much money...). The larger of my bags, according to a crappy bathroom scale in this house, weighs about 75 pounds, and that was after I took some stuff (that I deemed unnecessary) out. The smaller bag, which is also a backpack, clocks in at around 20 or so pounds. Am I under the Peace Corps mandated 100 lbs limit? Will I be assessed an extra fee before boarding the plane? Did I grossly overpack? I guess I'll find out very soon.

I'm flying out of LAX Airport at 7:30am PT. After "4 hours and 2 minutes" I'll land in Chicago. After a short layover (and if everything goes according to schedule), I'll be flying from there and arriving in Washington D.C. at 5:46 ET.

Being that I officially live on the West Coast now, the Peace Corps that it would apparently be easier if I flew into D.C. a day earlier, since staging begins at 2:00 on Friday. So I get to stay an extra night at the hotel, compliments of the government. Thanks! I'm sure that this extra night will go to waste, as I may promptly fall asleep after arriving in my room after a day of traveling.

On top of that, I don't think I can go to sleep tonight. The feeling of anticipation is too strong.

Until next time...

No comments: