Monday, December 8, 2008

Veseli Praznitsi!

Happy Holidays!

The Christmas season is in full swing in Preslav! There are flashing colored lights everywhere you look, kids are excited about "Diado Kolada" (Santa Claus), there's a definite winter chill in the air... The only thing missing is a Walmart having a huge sale.

Tonight was the tree-lighting ceremony in the town center, which rain threatened to cancel. Luckily, by the time all the speeches were said and songs were sung, the rain had cleared up, allowing the members of the obshtina to flip the switch on this beauty after all:


Doesn't look like too much here, but it's a real pine tree right off the courtyard in the center, and it's huge. Pretty awesome sight when coming in to town, especially with the other buildings on the center lit up as well (the chitalishte, church, town hall, and obshtina building)...

After the lighting ceremony some huge fireworks were set off right next to the church, pumping everyone up for the series of Christmas events the town will be coordinating...

Apparently they do Christmas big here, with a lot of events announced in the coming month, including a wassail in the town hall, countless concerts from kids and adults alike, and a gigantic banitsa making competition which was really hyped up to me by my sitemate. I love me some banitsa, so I'm looking forward to it (food post coming later).

I've gotten into the spirit myself with some decorations laying around the apartment. I just happened to find a nice little fake Christmas tree which I decorated today in honor of the tree lighting in the center. All that lie underneath right now are a couple of chocolates, but perhaps at some point I'll have some legit gifts haha.

Aside from the tree I have some random garlands strung around, and the most outlandish and ridiculous light I have ever seen (left to me by the previous volunteer) hanging from my terrace. It's star shaped and flashes like a strobe light in different colors. What better way to spread Christmas cheer than to blind any and all who dare gaze upon this amazing decoration?

Until next time...

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I feel better already after reading your latest blog...It's good to know that you will be celebrating Christmas with a few familiar things in the town and your apartment. I like your Christmas tree and your balcony star! Who knows?...There might be some things in the boxes I sent to help you decorate also! :-) Your favorite ornaments are on the tree here in LA! Love, MOM