Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Veliko Turnovo

This weekend I headed out for a couple of days to Veliko Turnovo, which was possibly the most beautiful city I've been to so far in Bulgaria. It was the first time I felt as though I was in Europe (i.e. not in a former Soviet country): clean, historic, plenty to do and see. An amazing city.

Veliko Turnovo was the capitol of Bulgaria (after Preslav) until 1867. There is therefore a great amount of history and beauty there - castles, monuments, and a pretty "old town" with small winding cobblestone streets and Bulgarian revival architecture.
Tsaravets is the old fortess that housed the royal palaces, and is as close as you can get to a castle in Bulgaria. This fortified walkway is on a ridge, and you can look down at the city on either side. The building at the top of the hill is a beautiful church filled with frescoes and paintings. Inside the well preserved walls are the remains of the medeival city.

This is what remains of the old palace structure. It's now topped with a gigantic Bulgarian flag, and is surrounded by remains of the old city. You can walk along roads that have been there for over 800 years, and peek into old battlements and towers.
This weeked was also notable because I got to celebrate Halloween with a lot of the other volunteers. Everyone got dressed up and we had a good time, despite the fact that we were a day late. It was nice to have some American traditions way out here in Bulgaria. Then I got a package from home for Halloween as well the next day! All in all an amazingly great weekend.
By the way I'm loving fall. The weather's great and the leaves are changing. Hopefully it'll last a while longer...
Until next time...

2 comments:

ema said...

One of the most beautiful towns.
Read about his history :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veliko_Tarnovo

http://www.picattic.com/files2/dqh2tv2veuid3j998b96.jpg
http://www.picattic.com/files2/wdm83r0nf6rhrpakeb7a.jpg

Catherine said...

The picture of the leaf-strewn path reminds me of Robert Frost's poem
"The Road Not Taken"....and also what you are doing with your life! Your experiences in Bulgaria will make a difference in so many lives including your own!

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference


Robert Frost