Sunday, November 16, 2008

Makgohavgc

So I just got back from an awesome trip down to the gorgeous Rodopi mountains to visit another volunteer who works at an orphanage to see how things are run over there. I got some great ideas, and sometime soon I'll get around to posting some details of that experience. However right now, I have another important story to share...

I finally got to eat at a McDonald's. This was my first McDonald's experience here in Bulgaria after I tragically missed my opportunities the last 2 times I was in Sofia. I was walking around Plovdiv (second biggest city in Bulgaria) waiting for my next train when I saw the familiar glow of the Golden Arches calling out to me. Admittedly I was a bit skeptical at first, asking myself if I should cave or if I should go somewhere else to eat. Somewhere more... cultural. Additionally, having worked in a fine McDonald's establishent back in high school I have very high standards. Realizing I didn't have a lot of time, I decided to treat myself to a little taste of the States.

The Cyrillic signage scared me little bit at first (yes, even though it looks like "Makgohavgc" that is pronounced letter by letter "MacDonalds"), but when I walked in, I was greeted by all the familiar sights and smells of home: Posters of people impossibly excited to eat fast food, fries sizzling in a giant vat of oil, and the characters of McDonaldland... I got so excited that I didn't even order in Bulgarian and was understood perfectly.

I ordered the "Big Tasty" макменю (mcmenu/value meal). Some of you might remember the Big Tasty (called the Big *and* Tasty back then) from a while ago - marketed as a delicious amalgamation of a quarter pounder and a Big Mac, with a little more "class." Unfortunately it was discontinued shortly after being introduced, making the Big and Tasty another item in the awesome Bulgarian tradition of resurrecting great things long forgotten in the States - like neon clothing and Alf.

Just in case anyone forgot, the description is located on the tray liner, conveniently translated into Bulgarian: "So appetizing and tempting - with more than enough grilled beef meat, melt in the mouth Emmental cheese, crispy iceberg lettuce, fresh tomatoes and onions, special smoke sauce and golden toasted bread."

Upon taking my first bite of this amazing sandwich I was immediately transported into realms of joy I haven't experienced in a long time. It was so good I ordered a cheeseburger to try to prolong the magic. A wave of patriotism washed over me and for 30 glorious minutes I felt like I was back home.


Thank you McDonald's Plovdiv for being there for me... I will gladly drop 10 leva at your establishment again.

Anyway... after that post I feel kind of dirty and very un-Peace-Corps. This was definitely not a sustainable and awareness-spreading post. Therefore I will try to start posting more about actual Bulgarian foods and drinks such as Shkembe Chorba (tripe soup) and Boza (disgusting). I love talking about food, and all of these have great stories attached deserving of their own posts.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Tobias Hewitt said...

Curse you 'big and tasty'! You are the prof muriorty to my sherlock holmes, the moby dick to my cpt. ahab. I will forever remember the day I first set eyes upon you....nor will my stomach ever be the same.

JT said...

Awesome! Thanks for that post. You made me laugh out loud about the "realms of joy".

Just think... that 10 leva could pay for a whole month of cable there! But, I am sure that the "Big Tasty" was worth it! :-D